Topic: Groink

Hey all, back around after another disappearing act. Lots of things have happened since combine server last summer, including auto accident and death in family, job move to brazil, etc etc etc. Just back in USA (ouinnnn) and helping run a restaurant until I find something better. So great to see that people are still in contact with each other and to see the old names from the great times in various games. Reactivated Aroidan acct in EQ1 while deciding what to do, as that was cheaper than buying new games.

Question for you all playing Vanguard, how good is it and is it worth it? I just read about Sigil firing all its employees and selling Vanguard to SOE...

salut les compatriotes!!

Kribal down!!! glug glug glug

Re: Groink

Personally I think VG has great potential. There's some fundamental flaws that are obviously a result of Sigil's pie-in-the-sky project management. I believe SoE will iron these out and we'll have the foundations of something special.

Brad's idea that everyone loves travelling rediculous distances at slow speed before you can start playing has already been pushed aside. The riftway network and the merged chat channels means grouping is faster and easier - which is a good thing seeing as the initial bugs wiped out maybe 2/3 of the people who originally started playing.

There are some other issues too atm. Class balance for example - Clerics are just indestructible. Unless the mob is massively powerful, chances are a cleric can solo it. Think Necro from Luclin-era EQ1 (no idea what EQ1 class balance is like now). Generally healers in VG are extremely powerful, with mages a close second, scouts third and poor fighters being almost completely dependent on grouping. Grouping is great, but when you can't find a group you need to be able to play - this had led to a lack of plate tanks outside of regular groups and guild groups.

I'm sure SoE will address class balance quickly. It's a major issue and they did a great job of this in EQ2. Apart from that, VG is huge... huge huge huge.. and there is lots of unspoiled, unfarmed, untouched content to discover.

I could give you a huge list of things that are wrong with the game, or rather a list of the bugs - there are many. But they are just bugs, and SoE have invested millions in VG, they're not exactly going to casually watch that money go down the drain. Evil corporations hell bent on industry domination don't like wasting money. The fact remains that the game is fun to play and absolutely huge. It'll be magnificent when the bugs are gone.

I very much agree with Meta, grouping in this game is really great, but there don't seem to be that many people left hmm

http://sigs.promisedlandt.de/truestory.png

Actually the main problem is that in a dungeon with a full group, the lag is too much, so I don't even think about a raid....oh wait there is no raid content yet tongue

Actually the game can be played causually, there are nice places for small group or solo, but most of the big quest are just farming faction or rare drop, which can get annoying if you are looking for "challenge" à la EQ1 GoD/OoW

One of the reasons I hesitate is that my computer is a few years old now and I just do not have the money yet to buy a new one yet. My motherboard is too old to be able to just add on upgraded parts. I have to buy a new motherboard and just about everything else to constitute buying a complete new computer really. What with finding a new place to live and a new job that pays more, I guess I will just continue in EQ1 till Vanguard is ironed out (hopefully) by SOE and I have enough money to get a computer that can actually play VGSoH without terrible lag.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
1.91 ghz
1gig RAM single channel
radeon 9800 pro 128 mb video card etc. etc. hehe

VG will most likely be ironed out, but i wouldn't count on a huge performance upgrade given the shitty engine it runs on. /wave Aroi tongue

Yeah that pc might struggle a bit.

Biggest problems I see are 1gb ram = not enough..

128mb card = probably not enough.

Mind you, Exi and I have pretty decent PC's and ours don't run it that well. I think the game is basically running really badly. I'm sure that'll be improved over time - but some serious power will probably still be needed to run the game in high detail.