1 (edited by Zark 30-10-2007 15:12:07)

Topic: Why Why

Having not played either of EQ2 or Vanguard I must ask:

Why did you stop playing EQ2?
Why did you stop playing Vanguard?

What is wrong with these games and in what ways is EQ1 better?

Re: Why Why

They plain suck big_smile

May Saint Cavalera be with you!

So is there any hope on the horizon for a new game that does not suck?

EQ2 was, from my perspective, the worst mmorpg I have ever played tongue May be something with the class I was playing (gnomette monk ftw) but I felt all the charming stuff from EQ1 was gone. The rationnal part was even worse than in wow... impossible to pull anything, mobs were hardlinked together. So there was nothing else to do than bring the correct number of people (easy to "guess", its written on mobs) throw tank and kill them. Assist was a built in automatic feature (you target the main tank, turn attack on, it makes you attack/nuke his target) travel was clicking on bells who called some "invisible boat that make you instant travel to the next dock" (the world was supposed to be only isles), every race can play any class (hello troll paladins and high elves necro) Gameplay was, as monk, horrible, I ended just clicking randomly all my abilities without really much difference.. "do I kick him with left feet or with right feet ?". The only fun stuff was the group FD ability, I want that on my necro hehe tongue

Some people (Zila) loved it, so may be he can give the good sides of it.

Vanguard.. I dont know still, I liked it and get bored with it super fast... I cant say nor remember why big_smile

Zark wrote:

So is there any hope on the horizon for a new game that does not suck?

http://www.startrekonline.com/ ! (in a few years.... (may be... (may be not))).

6 (edited by Astartee 30-10-2007 16:01:14)

Well. No.

In this industry there are 2 approaches: PVP and PVE. We are obviously not interested by PVP.

The PVE ones, well there is WoW, with the base customer being kids (more money) and there are other games coming (Warhammer online which is PVP, Conan which should be more mature oriented, that other one I forgot) that make alot of promises (just like vanguard and EQ2...).

There are some clones/original games like lotr, eve online, etc, that does not offer raiding content.

The publishing companies want to make money and hence publish their games before they are well, finished (like everywhere in the software industry) thats the main reason games are flops imo.
Imo the best game, and EQ was closest to this, is thought not for the masses (like wow) but for a niche.
I.e. : the PVE raiding niche small to big guilds.

With money you can buy everything, even love, but you cannot make a "true" online RPG (as opposed to "massive" ;D).

I played EQ2 till lvl 70 monk and actually liked it but : this game is too easy i think, everything is pre-shitted, it's a game made for newbies (like WoW). I mean they tell you the number of mobs linked together, you have in game maps, free TP everywhere, small xp debt etc... What i loved of EQ1 (and still love) is the ellitism that is part of it, come to the game and start to play a caster for example. Good Luck, you need several months to learn how to you correctly play your character (and not fully...), you got raids with real tactics, the devs really got a brainstorming on those epic fights.

I played Vanguard too, till lvl 30+ at release and in beta, the game was good and fun, but you needed a very powerfull computer to make it run, and it was full of boring bugs, wich were not solved for a looooong time. Saddly, many people left because of those bugs and now the game is just empty. The main problem of VG is that it was released too soon. (and it was missing a lot of high end content)

I am as well in WaR Beta, it's a DaoC like game, many many rvr, with side Pve environnement to level, but after some levels, you must level in rvr zones, interesting, very interesting game, i never liked pvp, really, but this one is very well done (or i am more mature to stand the hits on my ego big_smile)/ I am looking forward next beta phase in december.

Haven't tried Age of Conan, haven't really read about the game either.

All this to say that i am back on EQ, and i don't really understand why i left it, i remember my first time on the game, in Kelethin on a Wanadoo 30 hours connexion, dieing from falling from the city, deleting char (a ranger), and creating a druid, named Thaelvyn, who had all his points in str and cha... (and meleed till lvl 14 with no spells memmed.. tongue).... up to the lasts raids i did with BaG, that good bunch of people, this game provided me the most fun i ever had on a game (right after EQ, it's Baldur's Gate 1 tongue)

We left EQ1 hoping for a new fresh start, but it was "just another mmorpg" (EQ2 wow, whatever). Vanguard was doing the same mistake again, its slighly differents rules, modern graphics, but its not that different.

Now EQ is a world we know well AND its a world with lot of unknown stuff as thoses 3 years changed a lot of things. Its quite comfortable actually smile

Actually I liked a lot of things about Vanguard, and hat great fun with my Paladin. The game was very very unpolished and unfinished, but I would have kept on playing had not all the other people stopped. I wasn't just Fizzleblooders, everyone stopped. The world was great but really empty.

I only really tried to get into EQ2 once. It was decent enough (even though I had a lot of non-gameplay related problems with the game), but when I was somewhere around level 35, a new expansion hit and everyone on the server was back to leveling their mains. I couldn't get a group for the life of me, the dungeon I was in at that time went from ~50 players at a time to 1 group. I found the game to be a well thought out design.

I realize you didn't ask for this, but: do not dismiss WoW. I currently play very casual (~3 or 4 nights a week) and I enjoy it. The Burning Crusade changed a lot of things for the better. Community still sucks of course.

http://sigs.promisedlandt.de/truestory.png

10 (edited by Zark 31-10-2007 00:13:23)

Last time we tried to restart WoW, it would not run on my current computer. It kept crashing every few minutes. I haven't tried since.

I really liked WoW, it was great fun BUT there wasn't enough to do at high level. Also as Blood and Guts we made a strategic error by not making any effort to recruit congenial non-ex-BAG/FD players right from the start. So when we got to the high end content there weren't enough of us to do it without allying with a bunch of (presumably) teenagers who really weren't on the same wavelength at all.

Anyway I have managed to access my Sony account now and am downloading EQ1. It looks like it is going to take 24 hours despite broadband - but it is speeding up a bit now - doesn't help to try it on a patch day.

Will create a character on AB and check into /gogol as soon as I can. If the game runs OK on this machine I will transfer Hzark from Fennin Ro. I am not sure I could face levelling up to 70 again - but then that depends on how easiy it would be to get a character up to the level of gear Hzark had - a lot of Time gear. This of course may be tinsel in the new world of EQ - but I am guessing it must still be worth something or people would not be bothering to raid PoTime still.

I really liked WoW, it was great fun BUT there wasn't enough to do at high level. Also as Blood and Guts we made a strategic error by not making any effort to recruit congenial non-ex-BAG/FD players right from the start. So when we got to the high end content there weren't enough of us to do it without allying with a bunch of (presumably) teenagers who really weren't on the same wavelength at all.

Yep, BaGs never had a chance to compete in end-game raids so I think your views are a little skewed.... I've been raiding for two years now on WoW with Asmodeus and the end-game is much more complex and enjoyable (from a skill point of view) than the game and instances pre-60.
One of the problem we had was the whole Anarchy in Azeroth thing we had going, which was very fun coupled to the general high level of skill of people in the guild but not adapted to a rather unforgiving raid experience...

http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Dalaran/349581.jpg

MSLPATP !

Stop playing with kids on WoW and come back where real men are Mok !

Si tu veux sauver un arbre, mange un castor.

13 (edited by Astartee 31-10-2007 09:46:01)

Yup yup we made several errors on wow: not recruiting from the start, switching to horde, switching to another server (always lost people on the way).
Then we came back and got in a guild. Actually we made the guild a raiding guild and I agree the raiding content is pretty complex big_smile.
Its funny to see that we were NEVER successful as a group of ex bag/ex FD after EQ (well maybe EQ2 hmm) but only as individuals.

And hzark regarding your time gear... like ive been told... it just plain suxx big_smile Except for clickies, everything that drops that you can wear will upgrade you smile

Does this good stuff just drop in the new zones, or have they redone the loot tables for old zones?

They added some Augs in the old zones, but you have to go to the news zones to get the drops. It's quitte easy though, in Bags i had like 4khp buffed (or 5k), now i got 11Khp raid buffed and 7.3khp unbuff... makes huge difference... pity i can't solo anymore in old world, everything's grey tongue

Questions

1) What is the password for gogol channel on AB?

2) Hzark is in Riftseeker's Sanctum on Fennin Ro. He has been refunded a pile of AAs. Does he need to use them before zoning out?

17 (edited by Astartee 31-10-2007 14:08:48)

1) gogol:berdol

2) no

OUAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS ZAAARKIEEEE big_smile

Astartee wrote:

1) gogol:berdol

Thanks. I managed to remember it myself. But there is nobody on but Metti and she is afk

I will be there tonight, well, at beggining of evening, after it's halloween : one more excuse to go out, party and get drunk big_smile

Yes some do work Hzark big_smile

Oh its halloween ?? Damn I have 4 hours (!!) special training early tomorow with "wolverine" cant go party and cannot get drunk. sad
This guy hits like a train *cry*

Bizarre. I downloaded the program and it started up automatically. However, it did not make any icons on my desk top and I cannot find any .exe files in the Sony programs folder.

Any clue as to which file it is and where it may have been stored?

if you launch a search with "eq" or things like that you don't find the .Exe ? if you can't find anything i can give you access to my ftp server, download speed is 100kb/s so you would have the game in 7 or 8 hours... but better than 24 hours... (and a fully patched game tongue)

I have the fully patched game. It launched atomatically at the end of the download process. (Which took 12 hours, but only because it halted after a checksum error some time last night).

I just need to find the .exe file again to launch it. As you say I will have to do a search.

If anyone knows the correct name of the file it would help.

it's eqgame.exe or everquest.exe i never remember wich one have to be launched big_smile
depends how you installed the game but default folder is usually c:\program files\sony\everquest

25 (edited by Zark 31-10-2007 16:42:32)

For some bizarre reason part of the download saved to my Documents and Settings folder. Trying to rectify now.