Topic: Teamspeak/Ventrilo

something really usefull in second Generation raiding 8).

Do we have a server up and running or can someboddy host one?

Re: Teamspeak/Ventrilo

We have no TS server for the moment.

It's nice in games like DDO to have thi sfeature implemented within the game. no need to use some external programs/servers.

I could ask Mesmeranda if his TS server is still running. Should not be a problem to use that one.

Personally I cannot raid in VG anyway. I did the cloak quest with 2 pickup groups, and the lag was horrible. I had like 3-10 FPS. We were successful, but right now I won't raid anything serious with such a lag.

I admit, a voice chat really helps a lot on raiding. I saw it in EQ2 where things are going much quicker when you just can yell at the people, and don't have to type the commands.

Personally i donät think we need it in the next months where people are still levelling, and having fun in groups. I don't know anything about VG raiding. So I think a TS server is not very important right now.

I really dont like TS and such.. I will stay away from it as much as I can big_smile

because your voice is ugly big_smile

says the guy with that alcoolic 20 years of smoking voice roll

well...i had my bad experiances with TS too headache from 1000 voices. So im not asking to have one up every day. However incase there is real hard raiding content then TS surely will help us...Raid leader, MT and Puller have voice (and or the Looter too if Raidleader/Lootmaster are 2 persones) all others are moderated and better listen to the commands 8).

Its just more effective and fast then translating, typing, reading translating...answering.

Judgemax wrote:

Its just more effective and fast then translating, typing, reading translating...answering.

I learned most of my english in mmorpg and browsing internet so I still need subtitles to understand english series (not only americans) and when I try to speak english, most people wonder what langage is that, including english peoples.

So, imho the effectiveness of TS is very dependant to the english skill of our.. euros.. members big_smile

Practice makes perfect though tongue

Anyway your written english suxx too Schet tongue

http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Dalaran/349581.jpg

Ill leave it to the raidleaders to decide if they want to do per writing or via TS. if its to stressy for them to use ts for raids, and that in english, with everybody in the raid having more or less abilities to understand SPOKEN english, np for me.

Dont get me wrong....i dont want to enforce it 8). The game should be fun. It can be helpful tho 8). I am not sure if I will understand everything by myself but ...who cares. Ideally we just try it out once the raids start in some months 8PP... All try to listen if you dont understand it/and or cant talk/no micro then you just write your comments/questions the old style 8) in chat.

First and formost Vanguard should be fun to us. If we cant beat BOW or FoH to the serverfirsts /giggle np for me 8). Ill be off the game 25% of the year anyhow 8).

Using TS (ventrillo - TS is horrible), changed the whole atmosphere in Fizzleblood - for the better. Putting a voice to the name made us all feel closer and more like friends.

As for raiding, I'm not sure what raid content is going to be like in VG, but there were some damned complicated encounters in EQ2 which were pretty much impossible without voice. Fizzleblood took a huge step forward when we enforced this. Yes some people threw hissy fits and left but hey, I guess they didn't want to raid that much. The wierd thing was people started using ventrillo for grouping - so they could just chat while grinding - because they were used to the ease of communication.

It actually needn't be such a scary thing. As for broken english, well if someone is impatient with you or makes you feel uncomfortable with your (lack of) fluency, then maybe they're not someone you should have in the guild? Also the guys in Fizzleblood who were not so fluent in English would speak in French when a really important message needed to be relayed. There's enough bi-lingual people there to ensure the message was translated if necessary - that's just teamwork.

Clearly I have nothing but good things to say about Ventrillo. If you're serious about learning to work together, this is a hugely useful tool.

I personally prefer not to use TS all the time. Just gets too much hehe.

But it can be nice for grouping within guild and for raids with only raidleaders speaking.
Hands free to react quick can make a big diff, and voice is registrered much faster than
typing. So all in all, TS is great for raids imo.

When you need some good coordination on mobs, TS helps a lot. There was one raid in EQ2 which made it a essential, and that was Pedastal of Sky: there are two dragons, and their HP difference must not exceed 5%, otherwise  BOOOM.
Since both had an ae, they were pulled awy from each other, and me and VG.Mesmeranda/EQ2.Beandra coordinated the assist calls. We used TS to tell us the HP of the other mob, and that was essential for a smooth fight.

Nowadays you can survive the big BOOOM in there ...

Basically TS is helpful on raids. It is more important on targets where you need good coordination. Personally I think it should be optional, and the basic raid commands should be given via chat. Some people might want to use TS, and it is a great addition, but noone should be forced to use it.

If there are simple targets where you just have to do "Run to the center", "More DoTs, I want more DoTs", "BURN BURN BURN", etc then you don't really need TS at all.

PS: is gaia going to join BaG@VG? I miss her singing on TS ...

in DDO this is part of the game .. not an option ...

before playing this game .. i said like schet .. i hate voice

now ... .. that was fun ... group were running by voice .... in fact it was dificult when one guy didn't got a microphone  !!!

so np for me )

17 (edited by Sharpaw 13-03-2007 18:42:30)

A TS server would be welcome if some want to bother and create one for sure. I think that all guildies will enjoy it while grouping during exp times and/or crafting long robotic sessions.
If the apple is here we will have a bite thats sure. If the ts server is here , it will be used for some raids, if there are raids in vg  ^^ atm nothing reminder ^^.
We have discussed often about it, and in DDO that is a real tool, because yu have only 12 peoples , so you can have some spaces in a well known raid to have fun with TS. But in vg if we end in 24 or 36 raid slot window  (we  dunno atm how many slot a raid window will allow ) it will be another story. Many noises and pollutions wont help us to coordinate. Even with 12 thats easy to crowd the chan; even more if someone sings on it... We want it for clear actions/coordinations. If we want fun lets have  privates rooms or a ts room only for that.
But our raiders wont be focused with suchs things running aside.
TS means a lot fun wise, so if we use it that will be with caution, sadly we can loose too much reactivity/quickness to not use it. But aswell with a text chat we can deal a raid, if people can read or do care to read ^^. The issue is the same ...
How do we play ?

18 (edited by Sarina 13-03-2007 19:45:37)

Well I prefer not to have TS on all the time. Especially if its an international guild, it becomes a burden sometimes, at leasts for me ... For very difficult encounters it may be ok.
My experience was, that with using TS the non TS text channel communication comes to an absolute minimum, which means
less fun for me, because on TS you usually only have "command channel"-like communication and not much else.

Sarina aka Hetshu

My concerns are exactly what Sarina said.

And I would add the signal/noise ratio factor tongue I listen music, radio or even TV while playing. Game has sound off, and its all controlled sound environnement.

Obviously, there are two things you cant run from. Sounds and lights.

You can stop reading chat for 10min and then read it later. You cant stop listening (usefull or not) comments on TS. Its a bit like being asked to stay 2 or 3 hours at phone with someone.

Its really weird to me to read from most people how cool it would be if we were on TS. From my point of view its like reading "how cool it would be if I was a slave attached to my chair !".

Well, I probably miss the point. roll

Anyway the raid leader will decide when times come, and dont worry, it wont be me big_smile

20 (edited by Drachan 16-03-2007 14:08:21)

Whatever we choose,

I have Sykpe, Teamspeak and Ventrilo all installed.
I'll be happy to join any channel in French, German or English!
When I don't want to join I can always choose not to, or I'll just mute my mike and listen.